The blogging company is “exploring a new direction,” according to CEO David Karp.
Tumblr, the blogging platform owned by Yahoo, is launching a group video chat app called Cabana, the company’s first real foray into building a communications or video app.
Cabana lets up to six users video chat together at the same time and stream YouTube videos to watch while chatting. Tumblr is framing it as a “digital couch,” and while the app is not specific to teens, the company says it “tested really well” with 13- to 18-year-olds.
“[We’re] not pivoting, but definitely exploring a new direction here,” said Tumblr founder and CEO David Karp, who added that the blogging platform is still the company’s main focus.
- How 3D Body Scanning Helps Some Health Clubs Keep Members Engaged
- OpEd: Beauty Apps Are Selling Us Instant Makeovers — But Is Anyone Buying the Actual Makeup?
- How Viacom casts influencers in 90 percent of its campaigns
- Scotch brand Macallan has a new touchable video
- Robots in the cloud: How robotics-as-a-service can help your business